April 8, 2008

Ice cream koans

So, I don't want to get into the habit of cross-pollinating my blogs, because this one is supposed to be about comics and the other one attached to my personal/writing website is about absolutely nothing. But I guess if I have something silly to share, I shouldn't discriminate. So anyway:

Saturday morning, I’m lying in bed reading and the doorbell rings. We have a monthly exterminator that comes to our building, and we always pretend we’re not home because of Saturday morning lazies, but since Aaron was up I asked him if he’d grab the door. A minute later, I hear him talking to a couple of guys in the hallway, and I figure it’s something related to the building or some such. The conversation goes on and on and I can’t understand what they’re saying, but figure he’s handling it and it will be some annoyance that I’ll have to deal with later as condo association president. Then about 15 minutes into the conversation, there’s a moment of sound clarity and I hear Aaron emphatically say this:

“All of us are one big ocean, but each of us is a wave.”

Dude was proselytizing. To the Jehovah’s Witnesses who came to our door. For almost an hour. He tried to give them a book of zen teachings in exchange for their Watchtower, but they wouldn’t take it, naturally.

How hot is that?

2 comments:

Kristina said...

That is completely hot. Full round of applause (for his awesome behavior AND your excellent Guy Choosing Sense).

That's something I've always wanted to do too but never managed. I am strongly inspired now, though.

SallyP said...

This sounds even more fun than telling the telemarketers that you have to go and turn off the oven, and then seeing how long it takes for them to realize that you aren't coming back, and hanging up.