Download/subscribe to the show here or in the right sidebar, and leave an iTunes review! Tell us what you think in the comments, and suggest your own winners for our categories!
And now, thanks to new listener and contest winner Marina, you all get the following recipe courtesy of the "have what Awesomed by Comics is having for dinner, for dinner" contest.
You will need:
1 copy of the album And by The Ampersands (my band)
1 stick of butter
molasses (preferably ''robust")
1) Put on the album And by The Ampersands (my band) which is available at fine online music retailers everywhere.
2) Figure out how to make that stupid little degree symbol thingy
3) Preheat oven to 350°
4) In a small bowl mix the following:
------- 1 3/4 cups flour
------- 1 tsp Baking Soda
------- 1 1/2 tbsp Ground Ginger
------- 2 tsp Cinnamon
------- 2 tsp Nutmeg
------- 1 1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
------- 1 tsp Allspice
------- 1/4 tsp salt
5) In a large bowl, beat one stick of butter until softish, as though that ever works beyond just getting the butter stuck in the beaters, but whatever, that's what I always do and it works fine.
6) Add one large egg and 3/4 cup (tightly packed) brown sugar and beat until the butter isn't stuck in the beaters anymore, and the whole thing's relatively smooth.
7) Add 1 cup Robust Molasses and beat until well-blended. Regular molasses works okay too, I just really like the Robust kind.
8) Gradually beat in the flour/spice mixture until everything's in there and it's all nice and smooth.
9) Add 1/2 cup boiling water and beat the brains out of the stuff. I have no idea what purpose the water serves or why it has to be boiling, but every gingerbread recipe I've ever seen has told me to do this, so screw it, I'm putting it in my recipe too.
10) Grab an 8 or 9 inch pan (square, round, trapezoidenal, whatever) and grease it or line it with wax paper, or both.
11) Pour the stuff into the pan and bake for 40-45 minutes. Of course, oven temperature and climate and sea level and bla bla bla, just poke something into the middle after 40 minutes.
12) Top with vanilla ice cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg and enjoy while reading your favorite funnybooks!!!